About Me

My photo
This is my journal of experiences, thoughts, ideas, and experiments; it is erratic, sometimes fruitless, sometimes profound (at least for me). I don't advertise it, but I don't mind the occasional cyber-wanderer taking a gander at it. I tend to meander when I write, to jump to new topics without transition, and some things I say are tied to things I've talked about before, so feel free to hop around and just read what pops out at you.

The Pubescent Global Community

Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 by Sir Lancealot in
0

So we're evolving.

Humanity is going through another process of growth--we have reached all the corners of the planet and developed a web of instant communication amongst ourselves.  
Now we have to use that position to mature.  We are at puberty; we went from primal barbary and survival, to awareness of others, to literacy and development of motor functions.  Here we have hit the height of our growth, and we have all these ugly growths and sloppiness of our rebellious and egotistic attitude.  Time to reign it in.

That was all a bit ambiguous.  What i'm saying is that our self-identity is in dire need of attention.  We have to learn to manage our appearance and our interaction with the rest of the earth's family.  

One place that our changing self-image is going through major changes is here on the internet.  Our media is still developing.  Moreso, it is integrating.  We've got television & radio (and textual press)--the one-way media--and we've got interactive video games, telephones, video cameras, etc.  These tools are going to grow to mimic sociology; our systems of interaction as a community.  Family, dating, professional, platonic, business, friends--these groups and types of relationships, as the internet gets better at what it has and diversifies, will develop their own ways of differentiation in the interactive communication media.  What I mean to say is, we are all kind of thrown a homogenous meal now, and it's confusing.

One development I have yet to see is how families keep in better touch.  There is major potential for a less superficial system of socializing online.  Facebook is okay, but--I really can't quite put my finger on it--it is just lacking something.  The best I can think of is that it doesn't allow for in-depth intercourse.  We are all a little hesitant because it is purely public.  We need a more intimate medium for more meaningful intercourse.  So I will develop a blog community for my immediate family.

0 comments: